The Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Program offers support to Aboriginal people who may have alcohol/drug addiction. Services are available for youth and adults through one-to-one counselling, group counselling, education and prevention programs, referral to treatment programs, and also offers an aftercare program.
To assist Aboriginal people in addressing alcohol/drug issues and minimizing the negative substances for Aboriginal individuals, families, and communities.
- To promote healthy lifestyles free from alcohol, drug and solvent abuse within the Aboriginal community.
- To promote existing Ministry of Health sponsored treatment service models within the urban community.
- To promote healthy alternatives to alcohol, drugs, and solvent abuse.
- To promote a culturally appropriate system of addiction treatment services and programs for Aboriginal people with alcohol and drug abuse problems.
- To increase knowledge and sensitivity through awareness for service providers in the addiction field.
- To increase the effectiveness and provide cost effective treatment, service development for alcohol and drug abuse programs with the Friendship Centre.
- One-to-one counseling - Individuals who need help or referrals to A&A meetings, Alateen or Alnon should they believe they have an alcohol or drug-related problem.
- To establish a network of service agencies to work in unison to provide assistance for individuals with an alcohol or drug-related problem.
- Liaison with treatment centres to provide the best possible services for clients.
- To establish a resource centre with information pertinent to alcohol, drugs, or solvent abuse which includes videotapes, pamphlets and books.
- To coordinate programming via workshops, presentations, and seminars to make the community aware of the negative effects of addiction.
Treatment Centre Referrals
Fort Frances Tribal Area Health Services: 807-274-2042
Dryden Detox and Crisis Line: 1-866-888-8988
Changes Recovery Home:
Del Art - 807-547-3444
Clarissa - 807-468-3667
Biidaaban Healing Lodge: 1-888-432-7102
Health Canada: 807-274-7771
Migisi Treatment Centre: 1-807-548-5959
Dilico Treatment Centre: 1-807-623-7963
Lakeside Treatment Centre: 1-705-674-4193
Balmoral Centre - Thunder Bay, ON: 1-807-623-6515
Morning Star - Kenora, ON:1-807-468-5749
Alcohol Foundation of Manitoba:
Atikokan Crisis Centre:1-800-465-3348
Tanya Foy-Hunter, Alcohol & Drug Worker
United Native Friendship Centre
P.O. Box 752
516 Portage Avenue
Fort Frances, ON
Phone: (807) 274-8541
Fax: (807) 274-4110
Monday to Friday
8:30 to 4:30