SERVICES DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Telephone/text messages: check ins, one-on-one counseling, updates on service provisions (ex. Food bank hours,) referral to websites for trusted sources of information. Notably: UNFC website, other program Facebook pages.
Email support: check ins, send links to trusted sources, referral to the UNFC website for email addresses for other program workers. Provide information on relevant issues( ex. What business/services are open, what are their hours of operation?) Refer or provide the links to Fort Frances Times or Go Local website. Referrals to CRA website for CERB applications. First Nations phone support line as well.
Social media: check ins, internet calls on the Messenger Ap, links to trusted sources of information( ex. Health Canada Website), provide information on cancellations, Covid-19 Assessment Centres. Provide referral to Aps (ex. Headspace for meditation).
Deliver Strong Women’s Circle program to service users
Mental Health and Wellness strategies/information/promotions
Transportation support provided to those individuals who require Food Bank delivery. This is done to respect physical distancing and to reduce barriers to our service users.
Indigenous Mental Health and Wellness Program
The newest program to the Friendship Centre, our Indigenous Mental Health and Wellness Worker provides wholistic and culture-based supports in response to the mental health and addictions of Urban Indigenous individuals and families. The worker will implement trauma-informed and strengths-based cultural approaches to address community-based mental health and wellbeing concerns.
Working closely with our Indigenous Alcohol and Drug Program, our Worker will:
• provide wrap-around services and strength based action plans for each individual to address goals in the area of mental health, pre-treatment, treatment and aftercare planning
• working with Elders and traditional teachers and provide access to healing ceremonies
• conduct peer counselling sessions
• conduct group counselling, sharing circles, teaching circles
• work one to one on building and maintaining healthy relationships
• deliver mental health/addiction workshops and presentations
Visit our facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/Mental-Health-Wellness-110388760644490/
Pam Rittau, Indigenous Mental Health and Wellness Worker
516 Portage Avenue, Fort Frances